The National Park Service is hiring river rangers to work on the Niobrara National Scenic River. These are law enforcement positions that work out of Valentine, Nebraska. Click here to go to the Park Ranger (Protection) job announcement at USAJobs.gov. The application period ends January 23, 2012, which means this link won’t work after this date. These are temporary, seasonal jobs not to exceed 1,039 hours of work in a year.
These are law enforcement positions. Possession of or being able to obtain a NPS Type II Law Enforcement Commission is required.
Duties of the position include:
- Enforcing fish and game regulations, enforcing permits, and protecting park resources and visitors through warnings, citations, and arrests,
- Conducting river patrols by canoe and kayak,
- Conducting back country patrols,
- Providing emergency medical assistance, and,
- Assisting with search and rescue operations.